Some people have a phobia for flight, but there’s no other choice to travel long distances that require an airplane. They may be anxious and need to take something to calm their minds and relax their nerves. It could be a glass of wine, listening to music, watching in-flight movies, or chewing onto some CBD gummies. But is it legal to fly with CBD? This is a question that remains complicated to answer. Well, you could fly with hemp-derived CBD? Is it safe? What kind of CBD? Read on.
Before we talk about the legality of CBD, even up to the extent of flying with it. Let’s know what this CBD is first.
What Is CBD
CBD is an abbreviation for Cannabidiol. However, it is popularly known as CBD. Some people may not know its full pronunciation. Well, it is one of the several cannabinoids found in the cannabis plant. This cannabis plant has two major varieties, which are hemp and marijuana. People were only familiar with marijuana until recently when hemp came into the picture. CBD is mostly derived from hemp as hemp contains less than 0.3% of Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). THC is the substance that makes one feel high whenever marijuana is taken. Marijuana contains a high content of THC, while hemp does not. In other words, hemp is non-psychoactive and does not get one high, and this is why it is sought after by many people. It is why CBD is popular in the world today.
The CBD industry is growing steadily and is not showing any signs of stopping soon. These companies produce CBD products like bath bombs, creams, balms, and pain relief products, which give a soothing and non-intoxicating relaxing effect.
Back to our topic, can one fly with CBD without fear of charge?
CBD and Air Travel
Under federal law, the Transport Security Administration (TSA) recently updated its policies about traveling with medical marijuana. This policy states that it is completely legal to travel with CBD derived from hemp and also anything approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). This means that individuals can be allowed to fly with FDA-approved medications with CBD content.
In December 2018, the signing of the US Farm Bill removed CBD from the list of scheduled drugs to an agricultural product. The signing, however, stated that CBD should be taken as a supplement and not as a medication. Some products contain CBD which can be found in cafés, restaurants, and health food stores. You can find CBD in drinks, coffee, gums, burgers, tinctures and a whole lot of edible substances. They are all legal as long as they contain less than 0.3% of THC.
It is true that under federal law, CBD has been made legal. However, federal laws are different from state laws, as each state has its laws, rules, and regulations which people living in it must live and abide by unless of course, the state grants immunity to the person. It is good that you familiarize yourself and know the laws of the states you will be traveling to and from. You should know their stand concerning CBD. In a state where CBD is still illegal under the state law, Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) may refer cases related to traveling with CBD to state officers.
If you are ever traveling with an FDA approved drug containing CBD such as this anti-seizure medication known as Epidiolex, it is necessary that you go along with your prescription.
As earlier stated, state laws are different from federal laws and to be on the safe side; it is best you leave your CBD products at home. If you travel with them, there may be unnecessary delay due to search from the TSA.
How CBD Helps To Ease Tension During Flight
The human body contains an Endocannabinoid System (ECS) which controls and regulates certain functions in the body. These functions include sleep, pain, appetite, memory, energy balance, and mood. CBD works with the ECS by interacting with brain receptors to regulate fear and anxiety. Its effect on the user is a relaxed mind and calming nerves.
Rules Of Flying With CBD?
There are certain rules guiding flight travel with CBD products. If one adheres to these rules, you may not have any problems traveling with CBD.
Here are the rules and guidelines to follow when flying with CBD:
- You need to remember the TSA’s main priorities: One of the main priorities of the Travel Security Administration is to ensure that no passenger is a threat to the others. They need to ensure the safety of all passengers on board. As long as you won’t harm the rest of the passengers, you do not have an issue with them. They are mostly looking out for weapons and don’t search for illegal substances.
- Always leave your products in the original packaging: It is safe that before flying with CBD, you leave your CBD products in the original packaging it came with. This packaging or label will show that it is a hemp-derived CBD product with non-psychoactive properties. This will make them see and understand that you are not trying to smuggle anything. Also, hemp smells like marijuana, and the TSA may not have all the time to tell the difference between hemp and marijuana. To save yourself stress and time, leave your CBD products in the package they came with.
- You need to follow TSA guidelines as strictly as possible: The Travel Security Administration has certain guidelines to guide travelers on the need for packaging and organizing their luggage. You simply need to find out these guidelines and follow them strictly.
- Always carry your CBD products in your carry-on luggage: Your carry-on luggage is subject to less searching than the luggage you’re checking in. This is why you should put your CBD products in the bag you will take with you on the plane.
- Bringing documentation is necessary: If you’re carrying any medical drug containing CBD, it is important that you carry documentation in the form of a doctor’s note, stating that the product you are carrying is strictly for medicinal purposes.
- Courteousness pays off: Wearing a smile and being courteous to the TSA goes a long way in flying with CBD. You do not need to put up a tense or suspicious look and behavior. A tense and suspicious behavior may make them begin to see you as a suspect, and if that happens, you will be subject to thorough and intense searching. You only need to be polite, and you will have seamless and less stressful security experience.
If you adhere to all these rules strictly, you may not have any problems flying with CBD.
Finally, any international travel with a cannabis-related product, be it hemp or marijuana is very risky. This is because of the strict laws in some countries. It is therefore advised that you look for other ways to relax on the plane, that does not involve the use of any CBD related product. Breathing techniques can be very helpful in this regard.
In the meantime, safe travels!